Do you know how often you must clean your mattress? If not, then look at this article to find out. The answer might surprise you. Here are five effective ways to deep clean your mattress to be more comfortable and last longer:
Vacuum Your Mattress
You can vacuum your mattress to remove loose dirt, debris, dust mites, and other allergens that could cause an allergic reaction. This will also help prevent any future stains on the sheets or coverings on top of the mattress. Why? Because small particles can transfer onto fabrics when they come into contact with one another.
Mix Bleach and Water
Mix a bowl of bleach with a gallon of water and stir well. Using a sponge, soak the mixture up and start scrubbing your mattress in a circular motion. Ensure not to saturate the mattress with too much liquid as this could cause damage over time or create a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Let the mattress dry completely before using it again. This is an effective method for removing any tough stains or odors that may be embedded deep within the mattress’s fabric. However, do not use this method if you are allergic to chlorine bleach, as it can cause breathing problems.
Use Alcohol to Disinfect
Using rubbing alcohol, spray the mattress with a fine mist. Let this sit for about five minutes to evaporate and kill any bacteria or germs on contact. This is an effective way of removing dust mites without using harsh chemicals that might harm you or your family members if they are exposed. This method will disinfect the entire surface area of the bedding while also creating a refreshing scent in your bedroom.
Use Baking Soda
Spritz baking soda entirely on the surface of your mattress. Leave it for a few hours, or overnight if possible, so that it can absorb any oils, sweat, or dirt that may be trapped in the material. Then, using a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment, go over the entire mattress to remove the baking soda and any other residue. This is a natural way to remove smells and bacteria without harsh chemicals.
Use a Mattress Cleaning Machine
If you are wondering how to clean a mattress, using a cleaning machine is the best choice. All the products and tools are designed for mattresses. This means they can be used safely without fear of damaging them. Here’s how it works:
• Insert the product into the machine
• Place the nozzle over top of the mattress, then lower until fully inserted inside the fabric
• Move slowly across the surface with gentle pressure while vacuuming at the same time. Repeat this process until the entire surface has been cleaned.
• Afterward, allow 30 minutes to dry before putting back in case or returning to the bed frame. If possible, put sheets back on while the mattress is still wet to avoid any staining.
On the other hand, to properly clean your mattress, you’ll need to remove it from its case. To do this:
• Place a few towels along the side of the bed and then use a vacuum with an upholstery attachment
• Carefully pull your mattress off of your bed frame by pulling on one end
• Once removed, flip over onto another set of towels and repeat for the other side
• Vacuum both sides thoroughly before returning to the headboard or footboard
• Make sure you have plenty of time because flipping over a king-size mattress can exhaust you. If possible, enlist some help as well. This will make things much easier if someone else is available.
• Once flipped upside down, cover the entire mattress in a gentle, all-purpose cleaner. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before scrubbing with a sponge or brush. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies to remove any dirt or dust mites.
• Rinse the mattress off with cold water and allow it to air dry completely before putting it back in its case.
These are some of the ways that you can deep clean your mattress. Whichever method you choose, be sure to follow the specific instructions not to damage the material or create any health hazards. Enjoy a fresh, clean bedding set once you have finished.